Keisarinnankivi, the impressive red granite oblisk, topped with a gold plated, bronze globe on which sits the Imperial Russian symbol, the double headed eagle, keeps watch over Helsinki harbour in Market Square. It is Helsinki’s oldest monument.
Keisarinnankivi was unveiled on 18th December 1835 in honour of Aleksandra Feodorovna, wife of Russian Emperor Nicholas 1, to commemorate their visit to Helsinki 2 years earlier.
The globe and eagle were torn down by Russian sailors in 1917. The eagle was broken, but it was finally repaired and returned to the top of the obelisk in 1971.
On the chest of the eagle is the Lion of Finland.