The pretty white church that sits in the park between Annankatu and Bulevardi is the oldest in Helsinki. It was designed by Carl Ludwig Engel and consecrated on 17th December 1826.
It was built from wood, because it was originally designed to be a temporary church as the Ulrika Eleanora church constructed in 1727 in what is now Senate Square had become too small and the Helsinki Cathedral was not due to be finished until 1852. In the meantime the population grew and it was decided to keep both churches.
The organ was taken from the Ulrika Eleanora Church but a new one replaced it in 1869.
The altar piece painted by Robert Wilhelm Ekman was originally commissioned for the Helsinki Cathedral, but was placed in the Old Church in 1854.
Vanha Kirkko is adjacent to the cemetery where victims of the 1710 plague were buried. There are 48 tombstones in what is now a park.
Despite its sad past the park is a beautiful place to wander and spend some time in…in any season.